1. LU-176 (N, Γ) LU-177
The Lu-176 isotope is irradiated in a reactor and is produced by direct reaction Lu-176 (n,γ) Lu-177. As a result – Lu-177 with a sufficiently high specific activity. However, this method has a number of disadvantages:
- As a result – Lu-177 with carrier, which limits its sphere of application in nuclear medicine.
- This method leads to appearance in the received Lu-177 impurity long-lived activity of Lu-177m with a half-life of 160 days.
2. YB-176 (N, Γ) YB-177→LU-177
The Lu-177 isotope is obtained by the reaction Yb-176 (n,γ) Yb-177 followed by beta decay Yb-177 till Lu-177. Compared with the previous method, this method has several advantages:
- When implementing this scheme, theoretical specific activity is much higher than in the previous method.
- In the implementation of this scheme, Lu-177 is formed without a “harmful” carrier.